* Go to bed at the same time nightly.
* Set aside enough time to hit that golden 7 hours of sleep.
* Refrain from caffeine, heavy or spicy foods, and alcohol and other optional medications that might keep you awake, four to six hours before bed-time.
* Have a pre-sleep routine so you wind down before you hop in.
* Block out distracting lights and noises.
* Only engage in sleep and sex in bed (no TV-watching, reading or eating).
* Exercise regularly but not right before bed.
But you already know all this and you don't do it. So your realistic plan might be to surrender to the mid-day desk nap.