Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Migrants not ready for democracy

I met a VVD member of the city council in Rotterdam last year. I asked him about the lack of representation by migrants. And he bluntly said to me that he thought a lot of immigrants were not ready for democracy.

That was kind of a scary remark. To me that reminded me of the Pinochet experiment by american economist. Or the neoconservatives doing business with dictators like Museveni and Kagame.

Democracy in my view is a dynamic process in which you try to be faithfull to your own views. The alternative to democracy is violence.

In some way I can understand why a member of the VVD is not really a fan of democratisation. Their predecessors in the nineteenth century didn't think it was necessary to expand the right to vote to all dutch citizens.

No comments: